MC² MathLab provides a week-long learning design situating professional learning in grade bands K-2, 3-5, 6-8, and high school during the summer. The classroom experience is led by our Teacher Leaders while video-streamed live to participant observation classrooms where they discuss, reflect, and collaborate on:
- How students learn math
- Effective pedagogical practices
- Math content for teaching
Imagine a week where:
- Each morning, teachers observe student learning in an elementary, middle, or high school classroom! The primary purpose is to study classroom practice and students’ mathematical understanding while having an opportunity to reflect with colleagues about the lesson taking place in an authentic classroom.
- In the afternoon, teachers deepen their own mathematical knowledge to better understand the requirements of the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics (CCSS-M) at their grade level. Through engaging in rich mathematical tasks, teachers consider lessons and instructional strategies that build conceptual understanding, and foster a community of diverse students collaboratively working as young mathematicians.
Goal 1: To study effective pedagogy in Mathematics by supporting classroom practice through studying elements of an effective math learning environment
- Classroom Discourse
- Collaborative Learning
- Ongoing Assessment
- Engaging Tasks
Goal 2: To develop conceptual understanding of Mathematics by
- Engaging students in rich mathematical tasks to build conceptual grounding for mathematics aligned to their upcoming grade level
- Deepening teachers’ pedagogical and content knowledge in the context of teaching mathematics
Goal 3: To support implementation at school sites including district/school administrators and teachers by providing follow-up opportunities:
- To develop strategic plan for supporting changes in practice and learning structures for job-embedded, on-going, site-based professional learning
- For teachers to engage in studying instructional practice in their classrooms (Collaborative Teaching and Learning Cycle)
Goal 4: To build a Teacher Leader Cadre by:
- Building a network of teacher leaders who study and enhance their teaching practice while serving as a leader for professional learning at their school sites.
- Providing a structure for teachers to enhance leadership skills.
- Partnering with practicing teachers who can inform the project of how to design effective professional
Learn more about MathLab below:
Morales, S., Sainz, T. (2017). Problem solvers: MathLab’s design brings professional learning into the classroom. The Learning Professional, 38(1). Oxford, OH: Learning Forward.
Morales, S., Rivers, T., & Johnson, J. (2016, January). MC² MathLab™ for Teacher Professional Learning. Presented at the 21st Century STEM Integrate 2 Innovate Conference, Phoenix, Arizona.
Morales, S. & Chase, D. (2016, March). The process, strengths, and challenges of utilizing technology to enhance teacher professional learning during MC² MathLab™. Session presented at Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference. Savannah, GA.
|2019 STEM for ALL Video Showcase Submission:
||Student Recruitment Video: